January 9, 2009

If You Fail to Plan...Plan to Fail...

Jeff and I have a modest garden in our backyard (see earlier post about my Silver Queen Corn disaster). Every year on Good Friday, I plant my garden...pretty basic stuff. Until last year I hadn't really thought too much about where my seeds came from...I selected the prettiest packaging from Pike's, Lowe's, Hoe Depot -- I had no brand loyalty when it came to seeds.

This January, I am under the influence of my good friend Chef Sean Brock, the kind folks at Anson Mills (shout out to Catherine), and of course my family of farmers who saved seeds out of sheer economic necessity in Greenwood and Marianna, Florida.

I am so happy to check the mail around this time of year because the box is filled with seed catalogs! My new go-to source for heritage seeds will be the Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Catalog. It combines my love of great design and more importantly, respect for the traditional ways of doing things:

Heirloom Seeds

"Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company's 2009 catalog offers 1275 unique heirloom varieties.
We only offer open-pollinated seeds: pure, natural and non-GMO! We offer heirloom seeds from 70 countries, including many that we collected ourselves. Started in 1998 by Jere Gettle, as a means to preserve rare seeds."

Other sources of inspiration:

Heirloom Seedsmen
"The online museum of heirloom seed companies!
Our new site about the history of the seed industry and the people behind it. Learn what seed companies in the 1800s said about heirloom varieties, read historic catalogs and magazines, and more, on the site dedicated to the history of heirloom seeds and gardening." www.HeirloomSeedsmen.com

The Heirloom Gardener
The magazine for heritage gardeners!
"Now entering its 7th year, The Heirloom Gardener features America's foremost garden writers, who write on topics like seed saving, garden history, gene-altered foods, organic growing and more." www.TheHeirloomGardener.com

Happy Gardening!!!