January 18, 2010

Best Burgers Of 2009

The year's best burgers, in no particular order...pardon the mostly terrible iPhone photos:

Minetta Tavern - New York, NY
OK, I won't rank the rest of them, but this was definitely the best. A mix of prime dry-aged ribeye, skirt steak and brisket, hailing from Creekstone Farms in Kentucky. At $26, it was definitely the most expensive one this year, but absolutely worth it. Probably the best burger I've ever had.

Father's Office - Santa Monica, CA
Another dry-aged monster...this had been on my 'must-eat' list for a couple of years, and it lived up to the hype.

Shake Shack - New York, NY
I convinced myself to deviate from my standard 'Shack Burger' order and went for the 'Shack Stack' - the big breaded ball you see here is a portobello surrounded by melted cheese - it was really more of a big cheese ball than anything. I think it would actually be better without the beef patty.

Comfort - Richmond, VA
Nothing fancy here...no dry-aging or proprietary beef blends, just a perfectly-made cheeseburger.

Larkspur - Vail, CO
Certainly the best food I've ever had on a ski hill...

Holeman & Finch - Atlanta, GA
This one is so good that we dedicated an entire page to it when we designed H&F's website.

In 'n Out - Los Angeles, CA
The first stop upon leaving the airport, wolfed down in the car.

4 comments:

Joe @ Joe's Burger Search said...

All look amazing. I congratulate you on posting the Minetta Tavern iPhone pic. I've struggled with doing a post when I didn't have my good camera with me. Would have been a shame to leave Minette Tavern out.

Jennifer Justus said...

Oh the burger. Would definitely be my "final meal" choice. Love this list!

chickenfriedeverything said...

We are planning on going to LA soon, so we'll definitely hit that Santa Monica place.

Anonymous said...

Two comments:

1. The burger at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn is the best burger I have ever had (i have all about 7 of the burgers on your list).

2. I think including a client on your list is bad form, regardless of how much you like their burger.