June 17, 2010

Sushi Yasuda - New York, NY

A question that I often get is "what's the best meal you've ever had?" I'm never able to answer it - I've had too many 'best meals ever' to count. Just this year, I've had several that certainly rank in the top 10 - a 24-hour stretch with visits to both Momofuko Ko and Blue Hill Stone Barns was a particular highlight. When pressed, though, I usually tell people that the meal that Elizabeth and I had about 10 years ago at Sushi Yasuda was the best. I'm not sure why we haven't been back since then...most likely because I was afraid that another meal there couldn't live up to the memory that I had of it. We decided to pay a visit again last week, and after sitting at the bar and having chef send out whatever he thought was best, until we told him to stop, I'm happy to report that it's easily the best place I've been all year.