February 16, 2010

The Wannabe Kitchen Crafter

A couple of weeks ago I was researching mail order fruit trees...I have not (yet) pulled the trigger on the Meyer Lemon tree (now on sale for $79) but I have found that I am buying a ton of citrus -- and its sweet goodness must be preserved, natch.

My husband, aka @greenoliveeats has this book in rotation in February...seems like we are on the same page. I have a bunch of Meyer Lemons sitting on the counter.

Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It by Karen Solomon
Karen Solomon highlights all of the things I wish I could have learned directly from my grandmother, now 92.

Solomon graciously provides guests of her website with a few recipes from the book -- the lovely Lemon Curd will be the first one I use.

lemon curd

6 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 cup sugar
11/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 12 lemons)
10 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
Zest of 2 lemons, removed in large pieces with a vegetable peeler

Instructions In a large saucepan, with a whisk, beat the eggs and egg yolk thoroughly, then whisk in the sugar and lemon juice. Stir together until thoroughly combined.
The sugar should be completely integrated into the liquids, which will result in a much creamier curd. Place the pot over medium heat and gently warm the mixture. After 3 minutes, add the butter and the zest pieces. Whisk constantly for 7 to 8 minutes, until the butter melts and the mixture becomes very thick. Pour the curd into a clean glass jar and let it cool at room temperature, uncovered. Remove the zest and discard.

Eat warm, or cover and refrigerate for about an hour.

Store: Refrigerate, in a covered glass jar, up to 10 days.